Skip to main content

A tale of two wadders, and what I've learned

I know that Burda supposedly drafts for broad back and shoulders, so I should have known that Burda 6680, a nice, simple, building-block princess-seam A-line dress would need more than a basic Narrow Shoulder Alteration. Before cutting a muslin of the bodice I measured the distance between shoulder-seams on the pattern and compared them to my own shoulder-to-shoulder measurement and gulped at the thought of taking out 3 inches. I think I ended up taking out 2 1/2, and stopped because I was worrying about distorting the armscye. 

I didn't do a FBA, because I've not done one before with a princess-seamed bodice,  and so I thought I'd try out the Burda D-cup fit first. I'm around an E cup and so sometimes I need all an FBA, and sometimes I don't.

First of all: the bust-fit is great when I grab the shoulder seams and lift them about 2 inches. Of course, I can't actually do this for reals as a fitting solution, because the armscye disappears into my armpit.

Do I have weirdly high breast-roots? Do I have a very short back as well as narrow shoulders? (I think this is likely). Either way, I sighed, folded up the muslin, and made a bunch of notes. I'd like to come back to this one, I think it's a great base for the kind of dress I'd like to own in multiple fabrics. I'm not sure where I start making a short back adjustment but I'm sure I could figure it out. Is there such a thing as a short, narrow back? I think I have that. As well as narrow shoulders and a pot belly. Guh.


 Enter wadder 2: Lekala 4517

I'm interested in the customization possibilities of Lekala, especially as I always have to do some kind of Full Bust and Narrow Shoulder Alteration with all Big 4 patterns, and at least a Narrow Shoulder Alteration with my increasingly T&T fit-brand, Hotpatterns.
This came together quickly and I found the instructions perfectly clear but .. I didn't select the narrow shoulder or narrow back optional adjustment on this pattern (like a moron) and so again-  the bust dart fits perfectly when I pull the shoulder seams up about 2 inches ... and the armscye is high up my pit, being impossible. 
Sigh.
I bought this one for less than $3 and so I don't mind that it didn't quite work. I love the idea of it so I might try again next time Lekala has a sale. When a pattern cost me $3 or less, I don't mind repurchasing it with some adjustments, specially if it's close!
The other note I made in my sewing book (which feels a lot like a wadder list, at the moment!) is that the neckline gapes weirdly and the front AND back neckline facings don't fit at all. I'm not sure if it distorted madly while on the back of the cutting table or, uhhm, dangling off the edge of the ironing board overnight, or .. ok it probably did. But anyway: more cherishing of the necklines in future, specially if I use this linen/rayon fabric again.

Whenever I get too down I remember that I wear clothes I've made myself at least 3-4 times a week, and the reason I make these in cheap fabric (or actual muslin) from my stash is because I'm trying to figure out how to get clothes to fit me. It's also why I'm weirdly happy making myself trousers (well, HP tailored trackpants anyway) because those and HP t-shirts always, always work for me. And .. that's what I wearing right now, as I chart my fitting woes!

The weather has turned and I need dresses with at least elbow-length sleeves, and some that look good under cardigans. Next up: knit dresses with sleeves I can wear to work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sewing for the League in Empire Larp: Femme Patterns

The LARP Sewing Patterns List that No One Asked For! 1: Femme Stuff! 1 I sew clothes for my own general use, my kids, and often for wearing to Empire Larp. It's very fun! I play a female character in The League (Based on C113-14th Italian and hanseatic city states, but fantasy) who wears a doublet and hose sometimes, and big frock for fancy occasions.  The League's keywords are urban, urbane, and luxurious. The city my character is from, Sarvos, is the most southernly city and a beacon of art, culture, and fashion. Empire's League Costume Brief Empire's League Look and Feel Femme League Kit My favourite Femme doublet pattern is McCalls M7855. It's now discontinued so if you see one, grab it.  Coscraft still has both size ranges available  but the larger size is low stock there and in most places (booo hissss!).   I won't be coy here: I did some fitting changes to make this fit me. I took a princess seam bodice that fits me well ( Cashmerette Upton Dress , ex

-16c, with a windchill of -18c...

Well, I've muslined (made a test garment in cheap fabric similar to my fashion fabric) the Cashmerette Harrison's front, back yoke, and back pieces, and it's looking promising. With the double princess seams I'm concerned about getting the bust fit right where I need the space, especially as I generally have to shorten and narrow all patterns, but Cashmerette in particular. My sewing space is a tiny laundry room next to the garage. I don't get freezing in there, as it's next to the boiler/main heater, and I have a little plug-in-space-heater, but MY GOODNESS it's not tempting to 'quickly slip' in and out of 4 layers of clothing (thermal underwear up to the down vest) to check the fit! I finished binding a quilt for my son instead. Snuggly wins over my sewing goals for today. Now I'm going to get under a blanket and wish it was even 10C warmer...

Plague 2: The coughening/ January Goals update

Ugh. I got better! I had a week of being better. Then I got some upper-respiratory infection (probably viral) and I've had three days off work, in bed, feverish and sweaty and coughing like a hardcore smoker. Add to that; my machine (the Singer 7258) cannot handle buttonholes on 2 layers of thick flannel plus interfacing and I have STILL not got the Harrison finished. All I need to do is buttonholes and hem, but so far, no dice.  But January goal: sew a button-up shirt. Almost done? I'm going to give myself an 8/10 for that one. I'd hoped to sew two shirts and honestly, if I hadn't lost 25% of January to illness, I might have managed it! I'm in my bed as I type this, with honey and prescribed cough suppressants and a box of hand-embroidery supplies by my side. But I've got to be honest, I've been watching the 2016 War and Peace on amazon prime instead. I've really enjoyed it. I read W&P in 1998, my upper sixth year, and I remember nothing about it,