Skip to main content

My impassioned rant to CSC and their very kind reply.

So I mentioned that I'd typed an email to the CSC. It was sober email, but rather the equivalent to the drunkenslurry speech you do, when you think you're being super clever and impassioned but actually possibly a bit repetitive and maybe spitting/wobbling when you talk.
Oh dear.

Here it is (I cut out the fangirling at the top of the message. I am a big CSC fan, and I told them as much, and why.)

"I'm a newbie in this world and all around me I see beautiful things. I also see beautiful things I can't fit into with a waist measurement of 44 inches...  I can buy the Colette Moneta but not the Hawthorn. I can admire the  Sewaholic Alma but frankly I'm not grading up ANYTHING that much as a 'beginner' sewist. I want a Hollyburn skirt SO badly but how on earth will it fit?
I know I can buy things from Style Arc, Cake, and Lekala/Boostrap but ... only tents from the Big 4 and forget Deer & Doe ...
How is this different from RTW in that the 'nice things aren't for fatties' messages are everywhere?

I'm taking the Barbara Deckhard craftsy class (around work and family and other things) and I'm learning a lot but... look.... I accept that maybe one will have to do a swayback or FBA and I'm more than willing to learn how to do that. Eager, in fact! Fitted lovely things yes, yes!
But ... Learning how and where to slash-and-spread multiple inches on everything? It's too intimidating.

Could you consider some kind of post about "You could just cut and sew from the pattern" options?  The Moneta, I guess... what else? a lot of the beautiful TNT patterns you post are too small for me and I want to start with something that I can actually ... start with! What could I, as a RTW 18 (or 24! or 26!) actually open and sew and THEN adjust for my bust, my full tummy, my teeny tiny  arms (or whatever, plus sized bodies, as we know, carry mass in different ways).
I saw Jenny's blog post here  http://www.cashmerette.com/2014/03/one-stop-guide-to-sewing-pattern-sizes.html and this is the closest I've got to information that I'm looking for. Does anyone fancy revisiting it with extra information? I want to know about cute things I can START with and actually get over my head and THEN tweak the fit, not cute things that I'll have to take classes to learn enough to grade up enough to THEN start to cut fabric and think about personal fitting.

Oh dear, I don't want to rant at you. I think you're brilliant and inspirational and I KNOW you aren't making money from this and have busy lives but ... it's so darned depressing to think: Well, okay, what a lovely world of nice things. None of them fit me.
It's like RTW!

(okay, not none of them. But I looked at my 'patterns I like' list recently and do you know what I purchased to make? The Moneta. That's ONE out of 27 I was willing to buy this summer. ONE. Doesn't anyone want my money? I want to wear their patterns!)"



Jenny replied extremely kindly and very quickly to this email, which, considering she might just have thought "Christ on a bike" and pressed 'delete,' I was rather impressed by.

We feel your pain! Many of the CSC editors had the same experience when we started sewing, and one of the reasons we set up the CSC was to try to gather more information about what patterns are likely to work "from the packet" for plus sizes. In addition to my sizing chart (I'm Cashmerette :) ) you should also check out StyleArc - I think that right now they have the largest number of cool styles which go all the way up to a size 30. Their instructions aren't fantastic, but you can usually find online tutorials etc. to help. 
best,
Jenny
 
And so, reader, off to StyleArc I went. What I bought in the next post.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sewing for the League in Empire Larp: Femme Patterns

The LARP Sewing Patterns List that No One Asked For! 1: Femme Stuff! 1 I sew clothes for my own general use, my kids, and often for wearing to Empire Larp. It's very fun! I play a female character in The League (Based on C113-14th Italian and hanseatic city states, but fantasy) who wears a doublet and hose sometimes, and big frock for fancy occasions.  The League's keywords are urban, urbane, and luxurious. The city my character is from, Sarvos, is the most southernly city and a beacon of art, culture, and fashion. Empire's League Costume Brief Empire's League Look and Feel Femme League Kit My favourite Femme doublet pattern is McCalls M7855. It's now discontinued so if you see one, grab it.  Coscraft still has both size ranges available  but the larger size is low stock there and in most places (booo hissss!).   I won't be coy here: I did some fitting changes to make this fit me. I took a princess seam bodice that fits me well ( Cashmerette Upton Dress , ex

-16c, with a windchill of -18c...

Well, I've muslined (made a test garment in cheap fabric similar to my fashion fabric) the Cashmerette Harrison's front, back yoke, and back pieces, and it's looking promising. With the double princess seams I'm concerned about getting the bust fit right where I need the space, especially as I generally have to shorten and narrow all patterns, but Cashmerette in particular. My sewing space is a tiny laundry room next to the garage. I don't get freezing in there, as it's next to the boiler/main heater, and I have a little plug-in-space-heater, but MY GOODNESS it's not tempting to 'quickly slip' in and out of 4 layers of clothing (thermal underwear up to the down vest) to check the fit! I finished binding a quilt for my son instead. Snuggly wins over my sewing goals for today. Now I'm going to get under a blanket and wish it was even 10C warmer...

Plague 2: The coughening/ January Goals update

Ugh. I got better! I had a week of being better. Then I got some upper-respiratory infection (probably viral) and I've had three days off work, in bed, feverish and sweaty and coughing like a hardcore smoker. Add to that; my machine (the Singer 7258) cannot handle buttonholes on 2 layers of thick flannel plus interfacing and I have STILL not got the Harrison finished. All I need to do is buttonholes and hem, but so far, no dice.  But January goal: sew a button-up shirt. Almost done? I'm going to give myself an 8/10 for that one. I'd hoped to sew two shirts and honestly, if I hadn't lost 25% of January to illness, I might have managed it! I'm in my bed as I type this, with honey and prescribed cough suppressants and a box of hand-embroidery supplies by my side. But I've got to be honest, I've been watching the 2016 War and Peace on amazon prime instead. I've really enjoyed it. I read W&P in 1998, my upper sixth year, and I remember nothing about it,